Thursday, March 22, 2007

Eating Right BUT Keeping the Flavor

A lot of people hate dieting. They hate it so much that I even hate the word. So, I use the word live and I live it every single day. Why? Because simply put, you can't survive without food. You can make much smarter choices but you can still eat yummy food.

First of all, the keyword here is FLAVOR!!! Make sure your food has some zip to it. If you like spicey food then make sure you do that. Spice it up. That doesn't mean you have to make it so hot your tongue sweats or worse you sweat. But make the food you love to eat flavorful. I'm going to give you MY favorite low-fat high flavor chili recipe right now. Adjust it to your taste buds but I'll tell you this much. It's low in fat, high in taste and after a bowl (hey, with this, you can even have two), you won't feel guilty that you've eaten something bad. Enjoy

1 pound ground turkey. (Yep, turkey
1 brown onion (this can be red or white though)
1 28 oz can of chili beans
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatos
chili powder
cumin

This is really simple and it makes the entire house smell great. Here's what you do.
Brown the onion and the turkey. Drain.
In a big stock pot add the chili beans and tomatos and heat on low. After the meat mixture is drained, add it.
Then, (and this is where your tastebuds come in) add as much cumin and chili powder as you like.
For 3 o'clock chili I just add 1/2 of a palmfull of chili powder and about the same for the cumin.
But you can make it hotter or milder. Keep some onions reserved for the topping.

Cook it for about 3 hours and there you go. This is so low in fat you can even put some cheese on top along with the onion or, add a dolop of low fat sour cream.

I'll be back sooner with more but until then, eat healthy but mostly, eat to live don't live to eat.

1 comment:

Charli said...

Sounds good....although yes, you know me, I'd leave off the onion. :) LOL But it still sounds good, and you know me, I use turkey anyways. :)